Home Jump to content
Castletown - Ancient Capital of Mann
Link to Home Page Link to Town Hall Link to Heritage Link to Community Link to Commercial
Castletown

The Old House of Keys Shenn Thie yn Chiare-as-feed

Key Facts

The Branches of Tynwald

The High Court of Tynwald is historically comprised of three powers sitting as one body: The Lord of Mann (the sovereign or their representative, the Lieutenant Governor), the Legislative Council and the House of Keys.

The Legislative Council

The Legislative Council endorses legislation promoted by the Keys. The Council originally comprised the Lord's officers and officials; the principal civil, military and ecclesiastical administrators of the Island. The majority of the Council are now elected by the House of Keys.

The House of Keys

The main function of the House of Keys is the consideration of Bills (draft legislation) before they are made Law by Act of Tynwald.
The role of the House of Keys has always been to represent the people of the Isle of Man in dealing with the Lord of Mann and his Council. The Keys became a publicly elected body in 1866.

Key Dates


1077
Earliest reference to a Parliamentary Tynwald assembly in the Isle of Man.
1706-1710
New Public Library planned to be built in Castletown on a plot of land opposite Castle Rushen. The House of Keys are to meet in a room below the Library.
1765
The British Crown 'purchases' the regalities of the Isle of Man from the hereditary Lord of Mann, the 3rd Duke of Atholl, for £70,000.
1817-1818
The House of Keys building is in a 'ruinous state' and the Keys move to the George Hotel. Additional plans for a new House of Keys building are submitted by the architect Thomas Brine.
1821
Completion of the House of Keys building in Castletown.
1822
Letter of complaint in the Rising Sun newspaper criticising the design of the new House of Keys building.
1864
James Brown is tried by the House of Keys for libel and sentenced to six months in Castle Rushen gaol.
1866
The House of Keys votes to accept election by the people.
1874
The House of Keys moves from Castletown to the Douglas Court House, and in 1879, to the old Bank of Mona building in Douglas.
1881
Women are given the vote for the House of Keys elections on the Isle of Man - the first women in the world to be given the vote in national elections.
1919
The Isle of Man Constitution Act limited the powers of the Governor in Tynwald.
The House of Keys in Session -  Photo: copyright Manx National Heritage
1960
Following the decline of the Island's tourist industry and the economic depression of the 1950s, the Manx Government decided to lower taxes to attract new residents and investment to the Island with the Income Tax (No. 2) Bill.
1990
The Constitution Act removed the Governor as the presiding officer of Tynwald, being replaced by the new position of President of Tynwald.
2001
Manx National Heritage restores the old House of Keys building in Castletown. The Old House of Keys opened to the public in November 2001.
previous page next page
   
All text is copyright Manx National Heritage. Images marked '© MNH' are copyright Manx National Heritage. Text and images are reproduced here by kind permission of Manx National Heritage.
 
Home  top of page  index
 

Manannan's Web

© Manannan's Web 2006.   
Site designed, hosted and maintained by Manannan's Web